Sunday, August 31, 2008

Second Grade

It's funny how I have spent my teaching career wishing and thinking that second grade would be the ideal grade for me to teach. It is something that I have wanted to do since college. Now that it is my reality, I have come to realize that maybe second grade really isn't for me. It's funny how that works out.

I would rather have the students that are ready to take some responsibilities and actually do some independent thinking. So I think fourth grade is now the ideal grade for me. I think teaching for five years in the junior high spoiled me. :)

I do however LOVE the students that I have this year. For the past three weeks, I have not had to raise my voice once asking for the chaos to stop. I go home at the end of the day with energy. Something that I have not had for two years! It is amazing how a difference of personalities will do that.

However, I have lots of drama with my head hurts, my tummy hurts, and other various aches and pains of 15 students. I have learned that a band-aid will solve anything and if you tell the student to sit down for a little bit everything is amazingly better. :0)

So for now, it looks like the year will go smoothly because of the types of students that I have. So it is a year to actually look forward to teaching. I tell people that the class I have this year is the class that reminds me why I went into teaching in the first place. So I really cannot complain too much!

0 comments: