Thursday, January 24, 2008

Catholic Schools Week



So next week is the National Catholic Schools Week here in the United States. What this means for all of us Catholic schools is that we get a break from our routine and get to do fun things during the week next week. We have our prayer service on Monday, followed by the staff vs. the 7th and 8th graders in Volleyball on Tuesday, on Wednesday we are having an all school BINGO, then we get to watch a movie on Thursday, followed by a school spelling bee in the morning on Friday then Mr. Basketball in the afternoon (I'm still trying to figure out what it is about). So you see it is one big week of pure chaos and the students are nutty. Oh so much fun for me!

But to start out this fun fantastic week next week, all of the Catholic schools get together and celebrate mass with the Bishop at the JACC. So the entire school piles onto three busses and makes the trek up to Notre Dame. This is the part of Catholic Schools week that I absolutely love. I guess because I am a people watcher and I love just seeing who makes up all of the schools. But the main reason is because I LOVE the songs that are picked out. If I could find a CD with just songs that we sing during Mass, I would be a happpy camper. The mass was lovely, however the only thing that irked me was the fact that we were told that we would be sitting on the floor this year near the altar. Well we were late getting up there because the Lake Effect Snow kicked in earlier this morning so it was a pain in the butt getting up to Notre Dame so we were late getting in the JACC, so I think they thought we were not coming and filled in our spots with another school. Grrrrrr.....the students were really looking forward to it!

I love this picture that the South Bend Tribune took at the mass:



The ride back to Plymouth was a nightmare because once we hit Lakeville it was near white-out conditions and the road was crappy. I felt sorry for the bus driver who had at least 65 kids on this bus trying to drive in the dang weather. Well we made it back to school safe and sound and the students got to eat lunch at 1:00 because it took us a good 45 minutes to drive back. The poor things were starving because we eat lunch at 11:15 everyday so 1:00 was pushing it a little too much. So needless to say after lunch I was lucky to do some grammar and reading before we packed up and went home for the day. Needless to say we didn't get anything done, but the day was worth it!

0 comments: